You are responsible for the development and delivery of all our activities with visitors. These will include, but are not limited to, leading night-time visits to nesting beaches, presentations at hotels, hatchling releases, kid’s clubs and daily presentations at the hatchery and the maintenance of relationships with businesses on Sal. You will be responsible for managing our turtle adoption scheme and selling merchandise to support the project. You will be responsible for our shop in Santa Maria. You are responsible for the management of two Tourism Rangers. You will also be required to do occasional beach patrols with the other Rangers so that you can fully understand the project goals and methods. This job is a mixture of daytime and nighttime shifts.
Previous experience with turtles is an advantage but is not necessary, as full training will be given. However, you need to have a strong desire to work in a conservation project and be able to communicate the project’s goals as well as having a belief in environmentally conscious living. Your job is to represent the project and you should be confident and outgoing. Previous experience in a sales or customer service environment is an advantage. You should be comfortable talking to large groups as well as individuals and recognize that contact with turtles is often a life changing experience for visitors. A large part of your job is making that experience the best that it can be. You must be fluent in English and either Portuguese, Italian or German. You must be trustworthy, financially astute, organized and have computer skills.
As we are only in our fourth season there are many areas where expansion of our programme is possible. You have the opportunity to fine tune our current activities and add new ones.
Requirements for Tourism Manager
- Previous experience working with tourists or a background in sales or customer service
- Management experience
- Desire to work in conservation
- Outgoing personality and good communication skills
- Understand written and spoken English
- One other language - either Portuguese, German or Italian
- Driving License
- Good level of physical fitness
- High level of energy & flexibility. Innovative and creative
- Able to make presentations to large groups of people (in English)
- Ability to work and live with people of different backgrounds and nationalities
- Able to work independently and show initiative
- Excellent organizational skills
- Computer skills (Word/Excel)
Benefits: Shared accommodation at Turtle House (www.surfactvitiy.ie) and a living allowance of €100 a month plus an incentive scheme based on financial and performance targets. Expenses incurred on behalf of the project will be reimbursed but no other costs will be paid.
Timing : Start date week commencing 4 June to mid December. We prefer candidates who can commit to the entire season.