The camp coordinator performs the same duties as Wildlife Rangers but also manages the field camps that are planned for Serra Negra & Mont Leão. The camp coordinator must have experience of running remote field camps and preferably have at least three months of experience with nesting turtles.
The camp coordinator will spend varying periods in the camp (up to six days at a time) and be responsible for all aspects of the camp including:
· Training & motivation of volunteers and rangers
· Implementation of project protocol relating to data collection, working with the turtles, nest relocation, monitoring of nests, operation of hatchery
· Camp logistics (transportation, food, water)
· Health, safety and well being of volunteers and rangers including hygiene of the camp
· Collation of data
· Coordination with other aspects of the project
Requirements for Camp Coordinator
- Experience of management of remote field camps
- Experience in similar turtle conservation project
- Experience of managing volunteers
- Desire to work in conservation
- High level of energy & flexibility
- At least 20 years old
- Understand written and spoken English & Portuguese or Kriolu (or possibly Spanish)
- Good attention to detail
- Driving License
- Good level of physical fitness
- Used to physically challenging conditions (long walks, late nights, hot weather, insects)
- Ability to work and live with people of different backgrounds and nationalities
- Able to work independently and show initiative
Benefits: During rest days and days in Santa Maria shared accommodation in surf hotel, Turtle House (www.surfactivitiy.it) is provided as well as a monthly food allowance of €100 per month. Your allowance may be increased if you take on additional responsibilities or show initiative that results in improvements in and development of the project. Rangers normally cook dinner communally for €10 per person per week, other meals are prepared individually. Sal is not a cheap place to live so you should have sufficient money to support yourself. Expenses incurred on behalf of the project will be reimbursed but no other costs will be paid.
Timing : 26 June to mid October but shorter periods may be considered.