UPDATE : 23 JUNE 2014
- All Ranger positions are now filled.
- We have two vacancies for Tourism Rangers who MUST speak either GERMAN or CZECH. These are paid positions for a minimum of six months, starting immediately. Follow the link for more information and download an application form. (You may still send an application for other positions and we will consider you if a place becomes available.)
- Short term volunteers we accept applications at any time for volunteering periods of 2-4 weeks during June - November.
Download an application form here.
Click on this link to see lots of photos of our work and life in Sal.
The project encompasses patrolling beaches (night and morning) to monitor nesting and deter hunting, data collection, research, working with tourists and local businesses, operation of hatcheries, education and outreach activities and beach clean-ups. The work is undertaken by local and international Rangers and volunteers. Although there is a wide scope of activities within the project, protection of nesting turtles continues to be the main focus and this can be stressful and tiring, but ultimately highly rewarding. You can find more information about typical nights and days on our blog. Extracts from the log book
The usual nesting season is from June until October with hatchlings being born from mid-August until late December. The project is based in Santa Maria, a popular tourist destination known for its beaches and water-sports. Participants are based in field camps with self-catering accommodation in Santa Maria provided on rest days.
This is an opportunity to be part of an expanding project that is achieving excellent results and with your contribution will continue to evolve. It will not only provide you with good experience of turtle conservation techniques but also give you the opportunity to make a real difference to the survival of marine turtles. SOS Tartarugas staff have been directly responsible for saving numerous nesting turtles and hatchlings and experience a high level of satisfaction from being able to rapidly affect the declining situation in Cabo Verde.
Please follow these links for more information about working or volunteering with us
When and how you can participate
How to apply
Job Descriptions and Benefits
- Tourism and Development Manager
- Volunteer Manager
- Field Coordinators
- Wildlife Rangers
- Tourism Rangers
- Working with turtles as part of your holiday
Why this project is different to others